Kids/20-Something bloggers can be so cruel
Times are tough. People are looking for jobs, families are having to cut back, and now it looks like we’re so broke that we can’t even reproduce. Everybody knows of the infamous baby boom that took place during the years after WWII. Our country had just earned its “superpower” title and our economy was experiencing unheard of levels and growth. It’s only natural that after spending time abroad kicking Nazi ass our men came home ready to start a family and get started on the whole American dream thing.
Right now we’re kind of experiencing the opposite of that. Our economy has experienced some growth, but overall many Americans are still struggling to find jobs that pay a decent wage. There’s also the issue of the newest generation of Americans who are deeply in debt and unable to find work because of the poor job market. On top of being involved in long, bloody, and complicated military conflicts that lack Nazis, people aren’t really itching to have kids right now.
According to the Pew Research Center US birth rates were at a record low in 2011, the lowest we’ve seen since 1920 (just before the age of jazz, illegal booze, and dames and macs fleecing each other). The country’s birthrate fell 8% overall from 2007 to 2010. For US born women the rate dropped 6%, and for foreign born women it dropped by 14%.
A drop in birth rates isn’t the only problem Pew detected. The same report that contained the information on birth rates also stressed the vulnerability of Medicare and Social Security. Those two crucial social welfare programs are funded by payroll taxes from working adults, and with less jobs available there’s less money going into the programs.
All of these factors form a recipe for a potential economic disaster. As more baby boomers reach retirement age, the younger generation will be forced to try to pick up the economic slack. It’s estimated that by 2035 the ratio of workers and retirees will be 2:1 with 186 million workers paying for 91 million retirees. People are counting on an increase of jobs that pay livable wages, but if we look at current trends that doesn’t look very likely. It’s time to toss out your birth control and focus on some baby making people! If you really cared about the future of this country, you would be participating in risky copulation.